Cigar humidors are designed to maintain a constant temperature and humidity so that the tobacco in the cigars can remain moist and continue to age properly during storage. Best cabinet humidors come in all shapes and sizes. The only requirement is that they can produce a decent seal against moisture leakage, as cigars must be stored at 70% humidity and 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit. A free-standing or wall-mounted cabinet can easily be turned into a humidor.
Here are different steps are as follows:
- Remove the shelves located in the cabinet and any shelving brackets. Measure the inside dimension of your closet. If possible, you should cover almost all surfaces with Spanish cedar. Calculate the total square inches on the inside of the cabinet to determine how much cedar you need.
- Spray the veneer with distilled water until moist, then let it soak up the water for five minutes. Spray it on again and then put a dictionary or other heavy book on top for 20 minutes to smooth out any wrinkles in the coating. Repeat this process for all the veneer sheets you will need for your cabinet.
- Place your veneer dry in the closet. Find where the shelf brackets should go and use the hole punch to punch holes in the metal plate for the brackets. If the blade is too large, cut the veneer with the utility knife. If you cut with the grain, it will easily break (though not always in a straight line) along the grain. If you are cutting towards the grain, slowly cut the cut with a light tap and repeat the selection until you have cut.
- Apply a thin layer of glue to the inside of the cabinet. Start with one side, cover the whole side with glue. Start at the corner and push the veneer to the side. You will have some time to put it in place before the glue dries. Place the veneer firmly against the corner, then lay the next veneer sheet firmly against the first. Repeat until the page is covered. Repeat this process to cover the other side, as well as the back, top, bottom and door.
- Apply cladding to the shelves you want to reinstall using the same method. When the glue is dry (usually after 24 hours, but read the glue’s specifications), reinstall the shelving accessories and replace the shelves in the cabinet.
- Seal corners with a silicone chain to prevent moisture loss through cabinet seams. Mount the silicone weather strip on the inside of the door. Cut each piece to the length of one side of the door and then peel off the film to expose the adhesive backing and press it into place on the edge of the door.
- Place the hygrometer in the humidor and saturate the humidor beads with distilled water. Let the humidor sit for several days before storing cigars in it. It may take a while for the cedar to settle in moisture, so keep checking your hygrometer and humidor beads. Aim for 70% humidity. When holding 70% for 24 hours, move your cigars to the humidor.
See also: Schlüsseldienst Regensburg